With a little bit of winter still ahead of us, some rustic, fresh and satisfying meal is what I desire all the time.
If you are like me, you might really enjoy this lovely and nourishing tomato sauce based dish. Inspired by a traditional Spanish salsa recipe, it wonderfully combines the simple yet luscious tastes of onion, garlic, olive oil, parsley, tomatoes, chicken and potatoes.
Serve with a slice of fresh white bread and you’ll love it… of that I am completely sure.
You can find all the details below.
With lots of love,
One Pot Chicken and Potatoes in Tomato Sauce
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 - 14 oz. cans (800 grams) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1½ pounds chicken breast meat (700 grams), cut into thicker strips
- 3 medium potatoes, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tsp all purpose seasoning
- ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper (or more to taste)
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- crusty bread for serving
- Sauce: Heat ¼ cup olive oil in a large, deep skillet or pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent. Then add the chopped garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, salt (1 tsp), pepper (1/8 tsp) and sugar (1 tsp), stir and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Blend: Transfer to a blender or food processor, puree until mixture reaches your desired consistency. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Chicken and Potatoes: In the same pan, add ¼ cup olive oil. Add the chicken strips and potato slices. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and seasoning. Saute for a few minutes on each side until the meat is browned.
- Finish: Add the sauce back to pot, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the chicken and potatoes are fully cooked. Top with fresh parsley and serve with crusty white bread or rice.
This recipe was loosely adapted from PinchOfYum.com.
- Love This
- Yahoo Mail
- Facebook Messenger
- Copy Link
One thought on “One Pot Chicken and Potatoes in Tomato Sauce”
Just made this and we had a really cosy dinner! Thank you for a lovely recipe, Petra :). Greetings from Sofia, Bulgaria.