Onion rings, anyone?
And what about some oven-fried ones?
Oh, you need to know some more about them to be able to decide.
Alrighty, I’ll be glad to tell you.
These onion rings are crunchy, flavorful and very delicious. The tempting potato chips coating, full of spicy flavor, is a nice contrast to the tender and sweet onions. And since the chips have been fried, they give the onion rings that unique deep-fried taste even though there’s no deep-frying involved.
So, what do you think now?
Are you with me?
If so, here’s the stairway to heaven…no, no… I meant – here’s the step-by-step recipe…
This is what we need.
1. Preheat the oven to 390 F (200 C).
2. In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup (35 grams) flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1/4 tsp cayenne. Minus the spoons.
3. In another medium bowl, combine the yogurt, eggs and 1/2 cup (70 grams) plus 2 tbsp flour.
Whisk until a smooth batter is formed.
4. Crush all the chips finely and place them in a bowl too.
5. Peel the onions and cut them into 1/2 inch (1 cm) rings.
Just like this.
6. Cover a baking sheet with a piece of parchment. Drizzle with 3 tbsp vegetable oil, then pop it into the hot oven for 8 minutes – or until the oil just starts to smoke.
7. In the meantime, toss the onion rings in the flour mixture.
8. Dip each ring into the batter.
Let the excess batter dribble off a little.
9. Then coat the rings with the crushed potato chips.
10. Place the rings on the hot baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes, then flip each ring over before baking for another 8 minutes.
Since you will probably have more rings than you can fit in one baking sheet you might need to work in batches.
11. Sprinkle with salt while the rings are still hot.
12. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
I’ve used a lovely yogurt herb one.
Crunchy around, soft and sweet in the middle. Yum-yum.
Enjoy, dear friends.
(This recipe was adapted from notwithoutsalt.com.)
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.