When I was a kid, cakes like this one were on our table very often.
My lovely Mom used to make them.
They were filled with any fruit that was in season. And during the months of winter, Mom would use just about any canned fruit she had on hand.
So, whether you use plums, cherries or any kind of berries to make this sponge cake with fruit, you’ll be amazed by a very nice flavor it has and how surprisingly easy it is to prepare it.
Here’s what we need.
1. First, preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
2. Separate the eggs placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another.
Use larger bowls.
3. Pour the sugar into the egg yolks and beat until thick and pale in color.
Try your best not to eat this all.
Oh my gosh, it’s so good.
Or is it just me?
4. Then add the butter and mix until fluffy.
5. Next, in a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add it to the egg-yolk mixture. Mix to combine.
6. Then, using a cleaned whisk attachment, whisk the whites…
…until they hold stiff peaks.
7. Add the whites into the egg-yolk batter.
Small lumps of egg whites in the batter are okay.
8. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray and dust it lightly with flour.
9. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
I used a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 22 cm) baking pan. This cake will rise a lot, so if you are going for a less tall version, use a larger baking pan.
10. Spread out the batter evenly.
11. Now cut the plums in, halves. Or, if you are using canned plums, drain them.
12. Evenly arrange the halved plums on top of the batter.
13. Bake at 350 °F (175 °C) for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
14. Remove from the oven and let cool.
14. Then dust with a little confectioner’s sugar and cut into squares.
And most importantly, enjoy, dear friends!
(This cake takes about 45 minutes to prepare.)
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.