I’ve been carrying an idea to prepare a tuna sandwich in my head for quite some time.
Cause I love tuna.
It’s my favorite fish of them all.
Maybe because that’s the only one I eat, actually.
Anyway, recently, when making this delish Potato Soup, I ended up with one unused celery root and was looking for a dish that would incorporate it somehow.
Things have come full circle when one of the first recipes that I came across was actually for a Tuna Sandwich.
There was no question about the celery root any more.
What needs to be done, has to be done.
When I searched some more I also found out that people have produced about a zillion Tuna Sandwich recipes throughout the history.
It looks like it’s some kind of a popular ritual that we all share and enjoy.
Okay folks, I wanna play this game too and this is my addition…
Please, meet the ingredients.
They are yummy.
Let’s start with this handsome buddy, if you don’t mind.
It’s a celery root aka celeriac.
I write about its life story and why it needs your love here.
1. Slice off the skin of the root, wash it and grate it finely.
2. Grab one half of red onion and chop it.
It will add a wonderful taste and also a wonderful color to the salad.
3. Let the onion and the celery make friends in a larger bowl.
4. Now break the Chinese cabbage into individual leaves, wash them and drain them.
5. Slice the leaves into thin strips, leaving out the firmer parts.
And I don’t mean fingers here.
Which you should of course leave out.
6. Then chop the cabbage even more finely and add it into the bowl.
7. Drain the tuna and throw it in too.
8. And now the best part (for some of us) – add nice eight heaping tablespoons of mayo.
That amount might sound a little devilish, I agree.
But consider that we are making a lot of sandwiches here – about ten – so it’s kinda all right.
Are you with me?
9. Season it with the Worcestershire sauce and mix until combined.
10. And then taste it and add some salt if you wish to.
11. Spread the newly made salad mixture on a bread slice and top with another slice of bread.
Then have a bite and enter heaven instantly.
It’s beyond delicious!
Enjoy, dear friends.
(This recipe feeds one smaller army – it makes about 10 sandwiches.)
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.