Hot Spiced Apple Cider

hot spiced apple cider recipe with step by step pictures

We had this drink for breakfast today.

HEHE.

Clearly it is me who is in charge of food and drinks in our family.

HEHE.

It is possible you might find more ‘HEHEs’ in this post for some reason that I don’t really understand.

HEHE.
Anyhow, long story short – Apples, Nutmeg, and Rum – YUM!

And you know what? This drink is so delicious, comforting, and unique that it has even outranked my long time favorite – mulled wine. I have never ever thought that would ever, ever happen.

And yet, it happened.

Yeah! I know!

Life is so full of surprises!

With apple cider as number one and mulled one as number two, where does eggnog stand now in my life, you might ask.

Hm. It is clear to me.

Eggnog? Eggnog just rules it all!

Yeah, I can throw nice parties, you just need to come by sometime!

HEHE.

hot spiced apple cider recipe with step by step pictures ingredients

In case you’d like to prepare this heavenly drink too, then this is what you need: 4 cups (1 liter) apple juice or apple cider, 2 oz (60 ml) rum, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, 2 cinnamon sticks and 3 tsp granulated sugar (not shown in the picture, optional).

You can also use an apple to garnish your drink.

But I haven’t used it because I was too busy drinking.

HEHE.

Also, my new kitchen has a black work surface, see? The one I had before was white, that’s a big change (for my universe, at least). I am slowly getting used to it. And I am really starting to like it. (More pictures of the kitchen coming later.)

The nutmeg.

The rum.

hot spiced apple cider recipe with step by step pictures, rum, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, apple cider

The cinnamon sticks.

The process is very simple – in a smaller pot heat the apple juice …

hot spiced apple cider recipe with step by step pictures, rum, nutmeg, cinnamon, apple cider, heating cider

… spices and rum over low/medium heat.

hot spiced apple cider recipe with step by step pictures, rum, nutmeg, cinnamon, apple cider, heating up the cider

Stir often while the mixture is heating so the spices will blend into the juice.

hot spiced apple cider recipe with step by step pictures, rum, nutmeg, cinnamon, apple cider, in glasses, garnished, food styling, food photography, food blog

Once it’s hot, pour into glasses or mugs and garnish with apple slices (if using) and cinnamon sticks.

Most of all, enjoy this delicious fall drink, dear friends.

Love,
Petra

(Recipe inspired by ABeautifulMess.)

12 Responses to Hot Spiced Apple Cider

devitoo says:

maybe it also will work with orange juice, eh?

Tes says:

Wow it sounds really comforting :) I have never though of having apple cider with spices before :)

[...] is an image capturing the process of heavenly Hot Spiced Apple Cider being [...]

Shira313 says:

This is something what we might drink yesterday in work. It was really cold and heating broken-down… brrrr :o(

[...] Hot Spiced {Spiked} Apple Cider- I’m not sure if this counts but I consider apple cider a coffee substitute sooooo, yea. [...]

Jana says:

I love winter and spending time outside in the cold (and boy, it does get cold here in Quebec… hm, as much as back home in Slovakia) and there is nothing more comforting than a thermos full of a heart and soul warming drink. After mulled wine and mexican hot chocolate I have my new liquid favorite to share with friends! THANK YOU for the recipe, Petra!

7. 6.1
    Petra says:

Hi Sherine! You can try experimenting with other types of alcohol. Brandy, bourbon? The only way to see is to try… :) Petra

8. 6.1.1
    Sherine says:

The thing is… I dont have any alcohol at home T.T HELP! thank youu.

LOVE, (for your food only, jk :D)
    Sherine

9. zoomyummy says:

You can try it without the alcohol too. I am sure it will taste very lovely! :) Petra

10. Sherine says:

Hi Petra, again I wanna thank you for your lovely recipe even though our spring came early here in Winnipeg, I still made it anyway (as your pictures make it looks so a must-try) I couldn’t wait till I find a bottle of rum and so I go ahead and make it with rum extract (1 and a half tablespoon ) it was so good and I enjoyed it sooo much. Thank you (with tears~)

11. zoom yummy says:

Hello Sherine!

I am very happy that you liked it! I love this drink too, it’s pretty delicious! Have a nice day! :) Petra