With fall in full swing, I often find myself contemplating the amazing beauty it brings. In my world, the loveliest thing about this season is comfort food (what else is new?). And confetti colored leaves. And warm blankets. And Holiday cookies looming on the horizon.
Mmmm, sweet sweet fall.
With the above mentioned mood in my soul I prepared a really comforting soup for you today. It combines broccoli, carrots and a lot of cheese and is deliciously creamy. The epitome of comfort, don’t you think?
You can find all the necessary details below…
- 3 tbsp (42 grams) melted butter
- 1 smaller onion, diced
- ¼ cup (30 grams) flour
- 2 cups (480 ml) half and half cream
- 3 cups (700 ml) chicken broth
- 1 medium broccoli (about 9 oz/ 250 grams), cut into florets
- 1 cup (110 grams) julienned carrots
- 1½ cups (100 grams) Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup (30 grams) Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onion in melted butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together half and half cream and flour. Stirring constantly, add to the onion and butter mixture. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, broccoli and carrots and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in cheeses.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
(This recipe was inspired by TheGirlWhoAteEverything.com.)